TIHL #9 How To Operate the VCR
Today was perhaps a momentous occasion in the history of me. Not only did I celebrate the anniversary of my 24th year on Earth, but I also celebrated my last ever day of graduate school!! (Ok, so I still have an internship and a thesis to take care of, but those are just minor details.) My day started off quite well as I woke up to discover that my parents had decided to buy me a chocolate cake doughnut for breakfast, in which they even stuck a candle for good measure. I considered lighting said candle and singing to myself, but I decided that this would be a little over the top, even for a music therapist. The rest of the morning consisted of me giving a makeup final for one of my world music students, which somehow necessitated me running up and down the Ferguson stairs at least 14 times. (I was probably just being properly chastised for eating the chocolate cake doughnut.)
The rest of the day progressed in a normal fashion-I went out to lunch, gave a few presentations, gave back some keys, etc. In fact, the end of graduate school felt fairly anti-climactic. The evening was much more "Birthday-ish." I received one gift in particular that provided quite a bit of entertainment, although not in the way one might expect. One of my best friends gave me a video bearing the title "The Incredible, Automatic, Instant Boyfriend" or something of the like. Well, aforementioned friend, the 'rents and I decided that we had no choice but to watch it promptly. Picture, if you will, 6 remote controls, 3 machines, and 4 completely inept people. We pressed every button in every possible combination for at least 30 minutes, but alas, our efforts were in vain. The Incredible, Automatic, Instant, British, Shirtless Boyfriend was not to be. (We did, however, accidentally manage to attain impeccable reception on Channels 23, 29, and 45, which had hithertofore been mediocre, so I won't complain about wasted time. )
After the unfortunate connundrum regarding the Incredible, Instomatic, Shirtless, Weightlifting, Ironing, British boyfriend, the friends and I departed for Fridays, where I was finally able to partake in my long -awaited celebration of the margerita. I'm not sure if this is weird or not, but throughout the night, we had a total of FOUR different wait-people serve us. I hypothesized that either we were so much fun that everyone wanted a piece, or we were so obnoxious that the servers were drawing straws to see who had to come back to our table. Hmm. That's something to ponder.
So hence I enter my 24th year. Presumably, this will be the year that I will finally make the transition from "student" to "adult with a real job." I've heard from almost everyone that the working world isn't all it's cracked up to be, but I'm optimistic. If I don't get a job as a music therapist, I could always start working on my libretto for that off-Broadway musical. If there is no market for my ridiculous but cleverly rhymed verse, I could travel to Djibouti, where I would research the effects of ice cream sales on shark attacks. Even better yet, I could just learn to operate my VCR.
The rest of the day progressed in a normal fashion-I went out to lunch, gave a few presentations, gave back some keys, etc. In fact, the end of graduate school felt fairly anti-climactic. The evening was much more "Birthday-ish." I received one gift in particular that provided quite a bit of entertainment, although not in the way one might expect. One of my best friends gave me a video bearing the title "The Incredible, Automatic, Instant Boyfriend" or something of the like. Well, aforementioned friend, the 'rents and I decided that we had no choice but to watch it promptly. Picture, if you will, 6 remote controls, 3 machines, and 4 completely inept people. We pressed every button in every possible combination for at least 30 minutes, but alas, our efforts were in vain. The Incredible, Automatic, Instant, British, Shirtless Boyfriend was not to be. (We did, however, accidentally manage to attain impeccable reception on Channels 23, 29, and 45, which had hithertofore been mediocre, so I won't complain about wasted time. )
After the unfortunate connundrum regarding the Incredible, Instomatic, Shirtless, Weightlifting, Ironing, British boyfriend, the friends and I departed for Fridays, where I was finally able to partake in my long -awaited celebration of the margerita. I'm not sure if this is weird or not, but throughout the night, we had a total of FOUR different wait-people serve us. I hypothesized that either we were so much fun that everyone wanted a piece, or we were so obnoxious that the servers were drawing straws to see who had to come back to our table. Hmm. That's something to ponder.
So hence I enter my 24th year. Presumably, this will be the year that I will finally make the transition from "student" to "adult with a real job." I've heard from almost everyone that the working world isn't all it's cracked up to be, but I'm optimistic. If I don't get a job as a music therapist, I could always start working on my libretto for that off-Broadway musical. If there is no market for my ridiculous but cleverly rhymed verse, I could travel to Djibouti, where I would research the effects of ice cream sales on shark attacks. Even better yet, I could just learn to operate my VCR.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home