The Things I Haven't Learned

Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Soundtrack of my Life

If you've ever talked to me for longer than 10 or 15 minutes, it is probably not news to you that I have a soundtrack to my life. Thank goodness that this is (according an article I read in the Reader's Digest a couple days ago) completely normal. Said article also stated that if you have a song running through your head for awhile, maybe you should pay attention to the message it is trying to reveal. I opted to use this strategy with a song I have been singing for the past week or so, but as hard as I tried, I just could not discern any deeper meaning out of "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal..." (Other than the fact that one might just hear this song a bit too often when one works with older people).

For the past couple days though, I have been stuck on the song "What's New Buenos Aires?" from the musical Evita. The specific line that I can't get out of my head is the one that goes "Bad is good for me, I'm bored! So clean and so ignored, I've only been predictable, respectable....". I wouldn't say that this line describes my current state of mind exactly, but I can definitely identify. I've always been a little bit predictable, in fact to the extent that I predictably do unpredictable things just so no one can accuse me of being predictable. This mindset leads me to such foolish acts as getting myself kicked out of 3 daycares and a Montessori school at age 3, (yeah, I started early), dancing on the countertops of Florida souvenir shops, and streaking the Gustavus arboretum (which I never did, in case anyone asks :-)). I think it's good for me to do things that are just slightly out of character in order to keep life interesting.

My life hasn't been exactly uninteresting lately, but I do think I'm ready for a healthy dose of spice. It wouldn't have to be anything drastic, maybe just an anonymous bouquet of daisies on my doorstep, a call from a famous singer who wants to sing my songs, or a visit from those Publisher's Clearinghouse guys. Ok, maybe those are all a little bit drastic, how about just encountering an intriguing stranger who will remedy the fact that my life is completely devoid of romantic prospects? A little excitement now and then never hurt anyone...

The problem with all of these scenarios is that I can't really do anything about any of them. All of these things are of the sort that only happen randomly on a Tuesday morning in October when all you're thinking about is getting your toast out of the toaster before it burns to a crisp. Since October is still a ways off, I might as well just keep on truckin'. Afterall, I have 3 jillion papers to write, presentations to do, and Schubert to analyze. In the meantime, if something exciting does has happen to show up, I'm certainly not looking....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home