Mamma Mia!
Would it be really loserly if I admitted that last night just may have been the highlight of my year so far? (If not of the year, certainly at least of my favorite month of March.) As some of you may recall, yesterday was the last of the three major holidays in March-"The Minnesota Orchestra Plays the Music of Abba" eve! It was definitely an event to be remembered.
The group I was with (my sister, one of my friends, and two of her friends) was by far the youngest collection of people you would have run across had you been fortunate enough to be in attendance at last night's event. We were also, I dare say, the most enthusiastic. I'm not sure how anyone can hear music such as we heard last night and not sing, dance and be merry. (However, I think that we may have frightened the people around us with our general zeal!) We tried our best not to treat the entire concert as a sing-along....
We were all in high spirits at intermission, and it seemed that the rest of the audience was as well. Encouraged by this enthusiasm, I offered to pay $5.00 to anyone who would assist me in getting as least 70% of the women who were in line for the restroom to sing along with us. We tried valiantly with Mamma Mia, but it was to no avail. Thinking we had perhaps chosen the wrong song, we tried again with Waterloo, but we again were met with defeat. We received many compliments on our vocal stylings, a few laughs, and a number of uncomfortable stares, but these women were apparently wound just a little too tight to try something so foolish. You can't say we didn't try. (Maybe I'll try again next weekend when the orchestra plays Mahler--although his melodies may not be quite as conducive to such a thing...)
Indeed, last night's concert will long stand out in my mind as a celebratory evening of amazing music. Maybe when I retire I can join an ABBA tribute band. Until then,
Thank you for the music,the songs I'm singing,
thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it,
I'd ask in all honesty, what would life be?
Without a song or a dance
what are we?
So I say, thank you for the music, for giving it to me. :-)
The group I was with (my sister, one of my friends, and two of her friends) was by far the youngest collection of people you would have run across had you been fortunate enough to be in attendance at last night's event. We were also, I dare say, the most enthusiastic. I'm not sure how anyone can hear music such as we heard last night and not sing, dance and be merry. (However, I think that we may have frightened the people around us with our general zeal!) We tried our best not to treat the entire concert as a sing-along....
We were all in high spirits at intermission, and it seemed that the rest of the audience was as well. Encouraged by this enthusiasm, I offered to pay $5.00 to anyone who would assist me in getting as least 70% of the women who were in line for the restroom to sing along with us. We tried valiantly with Mamma Mia, but it was to no avail. Thinking we had perhaps chosen the wrong song, we tried again with Waterloo, but we again were met with defeat. We received many compliments on our vocal stylings, a few laughs, and a number of uncomfortable stares, but these women were apparently wound just a little too tight to try something so foolish. You can't say we didn't try. (Maybe I'll try again next weekend when the orchestra plays Mahler--although his melodies may not be quite as conducive to such a thing...)
Indeed, last night's concert will long stand out in my mind as a celebratory evening of amazing music. Maybe when I retire I can join an ABBA tribute band. Until then,
Thank you for the music,the songs I'm singing,
thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it,
I'd ask in all honesty, what would life be?
Without a song or a dance
what are we?
So I say, thank you for the music, for giving it to me. :-)

1 Comments:
At 11:55 AM,
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you had a good time at the concert!
Post a Comment
<< Home